Thigh Liposuction & Thigh Lift
What are the differences between thigh liposuction and thigh lift surgery?
The goals of both thigh liposuction and thigh lift surgery are to achieve contoured, more youthful looking and better-proportioned lower body.
Thigh liposuction is often considered first before opting for surgery, as it is less invasive.
In some patients, liposuction can help achieve their goals by removing excess fat on the outer, inner, frontal thighs or a combination of these areas. The best candidates for thigh liposuction are those who aims to reduce stubborn fat, instead of weight loss, and have good skin elasticity. Because liposuction does not target the skin, many patients notice excellent results when combined with other non-surgical treatments, such as the V-Shape Ultra Alma Laser to eliminate cellulite and tighten the skin.
On the other hand, thigh lift surgery should be considered when the individual would like to remove a larger area excess fat and skin around the thighs. This procedure is especially popular among patients who have lost significant amount of weight and seek for a procedure to reshape the lower extremities for firmer and smoother thighs.
At Tran Plastic Surgery, Dr. Tran also performs a combination of both thigh liposuction and thigh lift surgery for a snatched lower body. Patients enjoy the results from liposuction to reduce excess fat and firmer thighs and smoother skin from a thigh lift surgery.
Who is a good candidate for thigh liposuction and lift surgery?
If proper diet and exercise were not effective at eliminating stubborn fat around your thighs, a thigh liposuction and/or thigh lift may be just what you are looking for to achieve firmer and smoother thighs.
In general, good candidates for a thigh liposuction and/or thigh lift are:
- People whose weight is relatively stable. If the individual has undergone a bariatric surgery, his or her weight should be maintained consistent (gaining or dropping of no more than 5lbs) for at least 1 year. Their BMI should also be below 30.
- For thigh liposuction alone: people with good skin elasticity
- For thigh lift surgery: people with excess soft tissue along the inner and outer thigh regions.
- Individuals with no underlining health conditions what would impair their healing or increase risk of surgery.
- Individuals committed to living a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutritions and fitness.
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic expectations for what a thigh liposuction or thigh lift surgery can achieve.
What is the process of a thigh liposuction?
First, you will consult with your plastic surgeon for an assessment of the circumferentially of your thighs and legs. You will also discuss your goals and what your surgeon plans to perform to achieve those goals. During the procedure, a small cannula is used to ensure treatment is circumferential and remains on intermediate plane. For your comfort, your surgeon will make sure the right type of anesthesia is used for the procedure.
- Inner thigh liposuction: The majority of women interested in having thigh liposuction would like to reduce fat on the inner thighs to avoid chaffing while walking or performing everyday activities. For this procedure, the entire length of the inner thigh is treated.
- Outer thigh liposuction: When excess fat is on the outer thigh, this is often referred to as “saddlebags.” This can bother some women as the thighs may appear disproportionate or short when compared to the rest of the body. In this case, your surgeon will perform liposuction on the outer thighs to create a more snatched lower body that is well-proportionate to the whole body.
- Frontal thigh liposuction: In most cases, the frontal thighs are not treated alone as sometimes this may result in irregularities in the skin. Liposuction of the anterior thighs are more likely to be treated in combination with other areas of the thigh for well-contoured and proportionate thighs.
If your goals cannot be achieved with thigh liposuction alone, a thigh lift surgery or a combination of both may be your next best option.
What are the steps of a thigh lift surgery?
Step 1 – Anesthesia
For your comfort, you will have the option for intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Your plastic surgeon will recommend the best option for you.
Step 2 – The Incision
Incision patterns vary based on the area(s) being treated and the preference of you and your surgeon.
- Inner thigh lift incision
- A technique used for hiding the scar of an inner thigh lift is by placing the incisions in the groin, extending downward and wrapping around the back of the thigh.
- Another technique involves an incision along the inseam of the thigh to remove excess skin from the groin down to the knee.
Fig. 1 – Inner thigh lift with incision in the groin.
- Outer thigh lift incision
- Improving the contours of the outer thigh may require an incision extending from the groin around the hip and across the back. This called for advanced techniques to place the incisions in hidden areas that can be covered by most swimsuits.
Fig. 2 – Outer thigh lift with incision extending from the groin around the hip to the back.
Step 3 – Closing the incisions
Your surgeon will place deep sutures within underlying tissues to help form and support the newly contoured thighs. The skin incision may be nicely closed with sutures, skin adhesive tapes or clips.
Step 4 – See the results
The newly shaped and smoother thighs are visible almost immediately after a thigh lift surgery. After a few weeks of proper home care, swelling and bruising will decrease to show off the firmer skin and more youthful looking thighs.
Which procedure is best for me?
If you are unsure which procedure will best achieve your goals, we are here to help. At Tran Plastic Surgery, we offer a complimentary consultation for our patients to discuss their personal concerns and goals directly with Dr. Tran. We will guide and answer any questions you may have regarding thigh liposuction, thigh lift surgery or a combination of both procedures. Come in with a positive outlook and realistic goals of what a thigh liposuction and thigh lift can achieve, and we will take care of the rest.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2020). Thigh lift: Reshaping the thighs. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/thigh-lift
Restore SD Plastic Surgery. (2020) Thigh liposuction: Know more about its intended purpose. Retrieved from https://restoresdplasticsurgery.com/blog/can-you-get-liposuction-on-your-thighs/